A few facts about Coffee!
For all you coffee lovers out there… Coffee has become such a hot subject that we thought we would dig a little deeper and find out some interested facts that some of you may not be aware of…
- Coffee was discovered by shepherds in Ethiopia circa 800 A.D.
- During the 9th century goat herders noticed the effect caffeine had on their goats and decided to make a drink with coffee beans – the effect being that it kept them awake at night.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth.
- There are approximately 25 million farmers in over 50 countries involved in coffee productions.
- The number one commodity? Oil.
- There are two types of coffee beans!
- Arabica – seventy percent of coffee beans are this type.
- Robusta – slightly more bitter and twice as much caffeine.
- Coffee is a fruit!
- Coffee beans as we know them are the pits of a cherry-like berry which grow on bushes. Coffee is actually a seed, but we call it a bean because of its resemblance to actual beans.
- Coffee stays warmer when you add cream.
- Cream cools about 20% slower than plain black coffee.
- When you add milk, it weakens the effect of caffeine.